Monday, January 31, 2011

Tool Dust

As a preface to today’s post, I asked my mother to write this just because I wanted to know what she would say. All of my comments are in brackets like [this].

I’m a guest writer today and feel so special. I needed help with hanging up a bike for storage and asked lovely young helper [that would be me!] for help with the tools and placement. She was on the ladder and asking for the drill before I could figure out how I was going to get up there and while I was putting in the drill bit. After some adjustments to the drill she calmly [I was not really calm. I was terrified. It was quite the rush. I know, I'm an adrenaline junkie...] put one foot on the ladder and another one on a stair railing and began drilling. Then she put the bike hook in the hole and made it tight. She then noticed she was “toolie” [actually, my *pants were toolie] (sawdust from the drill). I thought that was a fun made up word, well actually it’s not a made up word but the way she used it was. The actual word is Tulle and it refers to a netting fabric and people usually leave the e on the end silent [of course she would know that, she majored in clothing and textiles :)]. Then we hung up the bike and it was going to be in the way [in the way of walking, as in every time you walked out into the garage you would get a “gut full” according to my mom] so we had to drill another hole for another bike hook and put both sides of the bike up. We again moved the ladder and this time she had to stand with both feet on the ladder and got more “tool dust” on her. We were successful and the job looks good. Then we laughed about the words and she asked me to write the story. The end. I’d like to thank all the people who gave me this opportunity because who knows if it will happen again. [Oh mom. Oh mom. I love you.]

No comments: