Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Teeth...yeah.

So, Baby is here. I only got to hold her for a few seconds on the day she was birthed, but the next day i was going to the orthodontist, which is right by the hospital, so i got to spend about two minutes with her in my arms. She's so perfect!

But, the orthodontist...

Most people have 28 teeth plus wisdom teeth. I am missing one of my 28 teeth. it is on my right side, and it is the furthest molar back. However, I have only one wisdom tooth, and guess where it is? right behind the space where that missing molar should be. This creates somewhat of a problem on account of the tooth above that space in the top of my mouth. you see, it has been dropping down ever so slowly. it's a little bit too low. Here's what they're doing. I'm having a surgery to expose the wisdom tooth and pull it up. then, using the rest of my bottom teeth as anchors, they're going to move it forward using braces. but there's also the problem of the top molar. they're going to put bands around my second to last molar on both sides, and connect them across the roof of my mouth. then, possibly putting some brackets on my top teeth towards the back to help with the anchoring, they will put some kind of attachment/band/bracket on my unfortunately positioned molar that will then have elastics or something putting pressure on it in the upward direction. the visit yesterday was to get the bottom braces on, and to put spacers in the top of my mouth around the teeth where the bands will go. next week I'll be getting the bands fitted for the mold so they can make the top piece for my mouth, and then i'll be having the oral surgery the week after that (proabably) on friday, and then on the following monday, i'll be getting everything else put in my mouth. it's a bunch of lame and unconventional oral work. but hey, my mouth just has created an unconventional situation. So pretty much, I will be in a lot of pain for the next little while, and just might have to survive off of yougurt and mashed potatoes. It's certainly going to be an adventure.

No comments: