Thursday, January 26, 2012

I could not believe what I heard!

something incredible happened to me. i don't know how, it just happened. i had just gotten home from a long day at school when i received a phone call. it was a friend of mine from high school. let's call him brownie. lets also name another friend from high school--texas. texas just left to serve an LDS mission, so he's in the Missionary Training Center (MTC) right now. so brownie asks me where i am. i tell him i am at my apartment. he then says, "can we talk for a minute?" the tone of voice he had made me think that he just found out he had cancer and only had a year left to live. i said "of course." now, the dialogue that follows is the conversation we had. my thoughts are between stars, *like this,* and just so you know, i'm cutting out all the parts where his phone lost reception and decided to cut out so he had to call again.
brownie: i have a question for you.
me: ok...
brownie: i don't know how to ask it.
me: just ask it outright.
brownie: i don't really want to.
me: then ask it how you want to.
brownie: do you have a missionary?
*you are the last person i expected to ask me that, and that is the last thing i expected you to say*
me: No...
brownie: are you being honest with me?
me: of course. i mean i'm writing to some of my friends and my brother, but i definitely don't 'have a missionary.'
*what's going on? it sounds like he's accusing me of cheating on him...* (ps, just to be clear, we aren't dating.)
brownie: well i've been writing letters to texas, and i just got a letter from him today. he found a letter in his bedroom at the MTC and its from you.
*no way! this cannot be happening. that's hilarious!*
me: let me guess...it says i'm engaged to the missionary-i-addressed-it-to's best friend?
brownie: yeah, it does.
me: that's too good to be true! [fit of laughter] i have a perfectly good explanation for this. I did send missionary-i-addressed-it-to this letter in october, breaking up with him and telling him i was engaged to his best friend. however, missionary-i-addressed-it-to and i were never dating. in fact, missionary-i-addressed-it-to read the letter before he left for the MTC. it was a joke that we had so he could have some fun with it. so just to be clear, i'm not engaged.
brownie: i'm glad you had a good explanation because i was worried you were engaged and didn't tell me. i was kind of hoping it was from someone else with your same name, but with all three names in there, what are the chances? anyway, texas sent the letter to me so that i could give it back to you if it was yours, so we'll have to meet up sometime.

its a small world...what are the chances someone i knew would find that letter? basically the most hilarious thing ever.

more back story on the letter to come in the future, but right now i have homework to attend to.

No comments: