Saturday, January 7, 2012

Can vs Pocket Knife

Things go missing sometimes, and you simply can't help it. This was the case with the can openers at my apartment. Nobody knows what happened to them, but they are gone. This was a problem for my roommate T-rex as she was trying to eat tuna for lunch. Then, several hours later, it was a problem for me as I was trying to have a baked potato for dinner. (Tangent: does anyone else think that potato looks prettier spelled potatoe? I do.) I couldn't open my can of chili. Solutions I came up with: banging the can in with a rock; skipping dinner; using the can opener on my pocket knife. I thought that the rock solution would be the best, but I wasn't sure i could find a rock nearby. Skipping dinner was a definite no. So, I dug out my pocket knife. It has one of those wimpy can openers that pokes an itsy bitsy hole in the can. That's only really useful when you have evaporated milk. I have chili. But, I went ahead and poked the hole anyway. Just like i thought, it was useless. However, I discovered something--i wasn't limited to just one hole. I poked holes about a quarter inch apart halfway around the can. Then I went back and connected each of these holes with another hole. I used a table knife to pry the lid back, and was able to get most of the chili out of the can. Can vs Pocket Knife--pocket knife wins.

No comments: