Thursday, May 24, 2012

Food is what it's all about

generally, i'm a fan of short blog posts--i think they are less intimidating. i know i'm a bajillion times more likely to read a post if it's short. (also, i'm a bajillion times more likely to write it if it's short...) however, this post may be a little bit long, so it's up to you whether you want to read it or not. but, if you're intimidated and don't want to read it, i won't be offended. you'll just miss out. and on that note, i'll move on to the real content here.

let's play a day in the life. it's 3:15 am, and my alarm is going off for the first time of three or four times. sometimes i hear it, sometimes i don't. if i hear it, i get up and get ready for work (pull my hair up, change into jeans, put on socks and shoes and eat breakfast). if i don't really hear it, generally i wake up about 3:45 or 3:50 and then get ready minus breakfast. if i heard my alarm i leave at 3:42 and walk to work. if i don't hear my alarm i leave as soon as humanly possible and drive to work. work starts at 4. i clean. sometimes i work with someone else, sometimes i work by myself. i prefer working with people. most of my co-workers are really fun to chat with at 4 in the morning. the ones who aren't...well, it's because they don't like to chat at 4 in the morning, and who can blame them? i clean classrooms or labs for the two and a half hours, and then work on entry glass and some other random project that changes from day to day. now it's 7:30 and i'm clocking out. i return to my apartment, eat breakfast (i don't eat much before work if i do eat before work) and decide i'm going to be productive this morning. then, i am productive for a little while--an hour or two, but i almost always fall asleep, which frustrates me to no end when i wake up. after my morning nap, it's about 11. i shower and get myself ready for the day, then i eat lunch before heading off to school. i have accounting from 12:30-2. after class i make my way up to my dad's office to study. i take the post class quiz for accounting and then work on preparation for the next class period. following that, if there's still time, i work on homework or reading for my next class, java programming. then i go to that class which takes place from 4:00-5:15. generally, i go back to my dad's office for a while to finish up homework for that class before heading home for the night, usually around six or so. dinner is always the first thing on my mind when i get home...food is a central part of my life. i either cook something nice, or i make a quesadilla or pasta-roni. usually while eating i watch the news, which makes me feel connected to the world again. after i finish my food i decide whether i should make something for tomorrow (something like tortillas or muffins usually--things i always keep on hand, but use enough that i run out frequently). if i have more homework, i work on that. if i don't do either of those two things, i just hang out with my roommates or clean things. if my roommates are doing fun and exciting things, i probably will stay up too late with them and then go to bed, praying that i'll get up on time in the morning. otherwise i make it to bed fairly early, by about nine usually...sometimes by seven thirty or eight if i'm really tired. and then the cycle repeats.

now that i've written that out, i realized that my life sounds really boring. i promise it isn't. i do exciting things with my roommates, and conversation at work is always interesting. for example, today, one of my co-workers and i decided that when summer term starts, since we both won't be going to school (most likely) we are going to have kitchen adventures and create the most amazing college cookbook ever. well, actually it was more like, we'll finish the-most-amazing-college-cookbook-ever that i started during christmas break. we have lots of good ideas, so you should be excited. that's all i'm saying.

i love my life, and i think it's pretty great.

No comments: